This is the alphabet which did not have much option for me. I loved the Spanish Orange Cake, but whatever recipe I chose had loads of eggs. I can substitute two eggs but when it comes to six eggs I have to call Gayathri. This is what I did and even she realized that the eggs supported the cake. For a while I gave up, but I kept looking for more options. Finally I juggled up a few recipes and came up with my own .
Orange cake is a typical dessert recipe from Valencia, Spain where the best oranges are produced. Whole oranges are simmered for hours to cook and then pips are removed and added to the batter. Somehow boiling the whole Orange did not appeal me, I felt the cake might get bitter. I read somewhere that adding vinegar creates a reaction and there is no bitterness, but somehow I did not follow this. I boiled one large orange for about one hour, I kept adding water so it could boil well. In the meantime I kept the Orange juice ready as a back up. After about an hour, I cut the Orange and as soon as I did there was a wonderful aroma , a aroma which filled the house . I removed the pips and the white pith from the skin.and reluctantly tasted the skin, surprisingly it was not bitter at all. I regained my confidence and pureed the pulp and skin and added it to the batter. I have to admit that this cake was one of the best cakes I have ever had. It was moist, spongy and had a amazing flavor of Orange without a trace of artificial flavoring.
So here you are with a delicious Orange Cake from Spain for A – Z Baking around the World.
Orange and Almond Cake Spain
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
11/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup oil
50 gms butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup condensed milk
1 cup almond silvers
1 large orange
Take a large orange and boil in water for an hour.
Keep adding water as it reduces.
After about an hour remove the Orange and cut it. Remove the pips.
I discarded the white pith from the skin also.
Puree the skin and pulp. Keep aside.
Sieve the flour , baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In another bowl mix oil and butter, beat till frothy.
Add buttermilk, condensed milk and vanilla. Beat for a minute.
Add the Orange puree.
Now we have all our wet ingredients mixed in a bowl.
Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix to make a smooth batter.
Add almond silvers and mix again.
Pour the batter in a greased and lined baking tin and bake for 35-40 minutes at 180 deg c.
Check with a skewer, if it comes out clean it is done.
The cake was a little buttery, the next time I bake I would cut down the butter and oil by 20%.
0 - 0range and Almond Cake from Spain
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 11/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup oil
- 50 gms butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 1 cup almonds silvered
- 1 large orange
- Take a large orange and boil in water for an hour.
- Keep adding water as it reduces.
- After about an hour remove the Orange and cut it. Remove the pips and discard the white pith also from the skin.
- Puree the orange, along with skin and keep aside.
- Pre heat the oven at 180 degrees C.
- Sieve the flour , baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl mix oil and butter, beat till frothy
- Add buttermilk, condensed milk and vanilla. Beat for a minute.
- Add the orange puree.
- Now we have all the wet ingredients mixed in a bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to this mix and make a smooth batter.
- Add the silvered almonds, mix well.
- Pour the batter in a greased and lined baking tin and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or till a skewer comes out clean.