Assamese Bora Saul Khichadi is a healthy , nutritious and delicious porridge consistency khichadi from Assam . The Khichadi is loaded with veggies .
Bora saul is a variety of glutinous rice found in Assam. It has an important role in Assamese traditional occasions like Bihu , which is completely different from mainland India and on the other hand completely similar to those found in Southeast Asia.This rice is glutinous and is generally used in pithas , or as simply boiled rice .
I got a pack of the Bora Saul rice from my daughter’s friend who has launched some Organic products and you can read all about them here . These products are sold under the brand name of Taru. These products have very good quality and there is huge variety .
This Assamese Khichadi is made with Bora Saul rice and yellow lentils . Vegetables are a must in all my Khichadi ‘s as hubby likes more vegetables than rice and dal . Khichadis are one pot comfort meals , and the Bhoger Khichadi is served to the Gods . It’s specially made for Durga pooja . I adapted the recipe from here , where the blogger has used parboiled rice , but I used the Bora Saul rice and the Khichadi tasted amazing . I served the Khichadi with Methi Chaman .
Assamese Bora Saul Khichadi
Bora Saul Khichadi
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/4 cup yellow moong daal
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables
- 1/8 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp Biryani masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch asafoetida
- whole red chillies
- Serve with chilly oil
- Soak rice for 4-5 hours.
- Soak daal for 2 hours
- Boil the vegetables with salt .
- Cook rice in a pressure cooker for 5-6 whistles.
- Mix in the daal and veggies , add all spices .
- Pressure cook again for 2-3 whistles .
- Open the pressure cooker after the pressure has released .
- Heat ghee , add mustard seeds , cumin seeds , asafoetida and whole red chillies . Pour over the Khichadi .
- Drizzle some chilly garlic oil and serve .