I am a great fan of Biryanis , and love to make them on Sundays or holidays . Like every blogger I hate to repeat the recipes . Shouldn’t that make the family happy ? No , actually they do not like because whenever they want to repeat a dish I am hesitant . Wonder who is right ?
Whenever I want to make a Biryani my search begins on fridays , so that I can get all the required ingredients on Saturday and cook on Sunday . I really can’t remember the recipe source of this Biryani but I know that everyone loved this Awadhi Biryani . The pictures do not do justice , seriously .
The rice gets its flavours from the whole spices that are tied in the muslin cloth . The veggies get their flavour from the ginger garlic paste , the torn mint , fried onions are always a must in any Biryani . What I liked about this Biryani was the use of flavourful reserved water from rice . The finale to the Biryani is saffron and ghee which fill the house with a aroma that is heavenly . A Biryani which I should actually repeat , but will I ? Ha ha ..
Assembling the rice
- 400 gms basmati rice
- 7 tbsp ghee
- 2 onions large and sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 8 cloves
- 3 green cardamoms
- 2 1 ”sticks cinnamon
- 3 tbsp ginger paste
- 3 tbsp garlic paste
- 100 gms green peas
- 100 gms baby potatoes
- 100 gms cauliflower
- 100 gms French beans
- 100 gms carrot
- 1/2 cup curd
- Few drops kewra essence
- Few strands saffron
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee and fry the sliced onions. Keep aside.
- In the same ghee add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 2 cloves, 1 stick cinnamon, few peppercorns and sauté till they lend out a wonderful aroma.
- Add ginger garlic paste, vegetables and sauté.
- Add salt and yogurt and cook the vegetables .
- In another pan , boil8 cups water.
- Take a muslin cloth and place 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick , cardamom and a bay leaf .
- Bring together the corners of the muslin cloth and tie them.
- Put this bag in the boiling water.
- Add salt and rice.
- Let the rice cook till 80 % done.
- Drain the water , reserve it and discard the spice bag .
Assembling the rice
- Spread half the rice in an oven proof dish.
- Now spread a layer of veggies .
- Next sprinkle torn mint leaves and fried onion.
- Repeat the rice, Vegetables , mint and fried onion onion.
- Dot the rice with ghee
- Sprinkle about 1 cup of the reserved water.
- Dissolve the saffron in a tbsp of warm water.
- Sprinkle dissolved saffron and kewra.
- Cover the rice with a lid and seal the dish with dough .
- Place the rice dish in a oven .
- Bake the biryani for 15 minutes at deg C.