Banarasi Dum Aaloo is a potato curry made with baby potatoes which are simmered in a rich gravy. The curry is from Banarasi kitchen.
While working on the last mega marathon where I cooked all rice recipes under the theme Biryani Pulao Khichadi Festival, I did a basic rice series, where I shared different techniques to cook rice. The Banarasi Dum Aloo was served with Basic rice which was cooked by the Absorption method.
For Banarasi Dum aloo we need baby potatoes, however, if you don’t have them do not lose your heart, you can still make them. Use the regular potatoes, and cut them into cubes – little chunkier. The baby potatoes are used with skin, but again it’s optional, so when cutting them into cubes, you can decide if you want the skin or not.
Normally these potatoes are marinated with salt and fried, but again you can use boiled potatoes and use an air fryer to make them crisp. The gravy is with onions, tomatoes and some cashews and is pretty rich. For a low cal version, you can change the gravy and also minus the cream!
The potatoes are absolutely delicious and can be enjoyed with rice or any Indian bread like roti, paratha, naan.
This is my post under Special Theme.
Banarasi Dum Aaloo
How to serve
Banarasi Dum Aloo
- 12-15 baby potatoes
- oil for deep-frying
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 piece ginger
- 8 while kashmiri red chillies
- 2 tbsp cashews broken
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4-5 green cardamom
- 1 tbsp kasoori methi
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup fresh cream
- 1 tbsp Coriander chopped
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and dry the baby potatoes .
- Pierce each potato with a fork all around . .
- Sprinkle salt and keep aside for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Deep fry till golden and cooked through .
- Drain on a kitchen paper and keep aside .
- Alternatively to avoid calories , boil the potatoes , prick and apply salt .
- Brush lightly with oil and use a air fryer to make them crisp .
- Combine all ingredients together and simmer over a medium flame till tomatoes are cooked .
- Cook the mixture and purée in a blender to a smooth paste.
How to serve
- Heat butter and oil , add cardamom and gravy paste and allow it to come to a boil .
- Simmer till the oil separates.
- Add the potatoes , kasoori methi , salt and honey and simmer for 5 minutes .
- Garnish with cream and coriander .