Chocolate Rose Kalakand | Indian Cheese Cake is a melt-in-the-mouth milk-based sweet that is flavoured with Chocolate and Rose.
This is a sweet that is delicious and melts in the mouth kind. My family loves the basic Kalakand, where I add saffron and cardamom. It is rather monotonous to repeatedly make the same thing, so I decided on the Chocolate Rose Kalakand from Jagruti’s place. I have made changes to the recipe to suit my convenience. However, you must check the original recipe, I am sure you will love it. The clicks are a treat to watch.
What is Kalakand?
Kalakand is an Indian dessert, we can call it Indian Cheese Cake or Milk Fudge. It is one of the most popular North Indian sweets which is very soft and has a grainy texture. The main ingredient to make this mithai is milk. The basic flavour is cardamom, but you can flavour it with different fruits or nuts. It is a perfect sweet for Festivals like Diwali, Holi, and Ganesh Chaturthi.
Ingredients required for Chocolate Rose Kalkand | Indian Cheese Cake
Milk; Full-Fat milk is ideal for making Kalakand, as this yields better quantity and quality. Cow and Buffalo milk, both work fine.
Lemon: We will use lemon to curdle the milk. You can use vinegar too. I always prefer to dilute lemon or vinegar and add it gently.
Rose Syrup: I have used Rose Syrup to sweeten and colour half the Kalakand. Use as per your taste.
Nutella: I have used Nutella to sweeten the other half of kalakand. The quantity depends on how sweet you like.
Nuts: Pistachios taste best. Garnish with powdered and chopped pistachios.
How to make Chocolate Rose Kalakand | Indian Cheese Cake?
Divide the milk equally into two pots. Place both the milk pots for boiling on two separate burners.
In pot one we will make chenna and in pot 2 we will reduce the milk to half.
Let us make the chenna first.
Let the milk come to a boil. As the milk comes to a boil, switch off the flame. Dilute the lemon juice. The ratio should be 2:1, two parts lemon and one part water. Now gently add this juice, stirring the milk constantly. The milk will start curdling and you will see the cheese separating. Strain the chenna in cheesecloth and rinse it with water. This will remove all traces of lemon. Give a gentle squeeze to the cheesecloth and keep the chenna aside.
We now move on to the second pot which has been on slow fire. Reduce the milk to half.
Add the prepared chenna to the reduced milk. Mix well.
Now divide this mixture into two parts. In one part add rose syrup and in the other chocolate and mix well. cook both separately for 2-3 minutes. The mix should be dry.
Transfer the Rose mix to a greased tray, and after a few minutes transfer the chocolate mix over it. Level the Sweet and garnish with pistachio powder and dried roses.
Allow the Kalakand to set. Cut into pieces of the desired shape.
Variations of Kalakand
Kalakand is a delicious mithai. Cardamom flavour is the most common. We can try different variations of Kalakand, the list is endless.
- Chocolate Kalakand
- Mango Kalakand
- Kesar Kalakand
- Strawberry Kalakand
- Rose Kalakand
Use full-fat milk to make Kalakand.
Make sure you use the homemade chenna to get a soft, melt-in-the-mouth Kalakand.
Using store-bought paneer might make the Kalakand a little rubbery.
Kalakand tastes best when it is fresh.
Some Milk-based Sweets
Chocolate Rose Kalakand | Indian Cheese Cake
- Pan / Kadai / Wok
- 2 lts full-fat milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp Rose Syrup or as per taste
- 3-4 tbsp Nutella or as per taste
- 2 tbsp pistachios powder
- Divide the milk in two pots and place both to boil.
- Place the first pot on a low flame and stir the milk at regular intervals .
- Once the milk has boiled in the second pot add the lemon juice and curdle the milk.
- Now strain this mix in a cheesecloth.
- Pour fresh and cold water over the prepared cheese, this shall remove all traces of lemon.
- keep aside.
- Now we shall come back to pot 1 where milk would have reduced considerably.
- We need to reduce it to half.
- Squeeze out all the water from the cheese cloth and add the paneer to the first pot where milk has been boiling.
- Divide the mix into two parts . Add Rose syrup to one and Nutella to the other. Cook them for 2-3 minutes.
- If there is a little milk like moisture , do not worry , it shall make the kalakand juicy .
- Transfer the Rose kalakand to a greased tray and after a few minutes transfer the chocolate Kalakand over it. let it set.
- Garnish with pistachios powder and dried roses.
- Cut into pieces .
Make sure you use the homemade chenna to get a soft, melt in the mouth Kalakand.
Using a store-bought paneer might make the Kalakand a little rubbery.