Seviyo ki Barfi | Vermicelli Fudge is a delicious Indian Barfi popular in Sindhi families. Roasted vermicelli, assorted nuts and condensed milk are the key ingredients of this fudge.
India is a land of diversity and it is amazing to see the variety of mithai this country can offer. Each state has its own regional variations. If we enter a Mithai Shop we can see a variety of Mithais like Barfi, Ladoo, Halwa, Bengali Sweets and many more. The main ingredients for Mithai are flour, milk, sugar, ghee, nuts, lentils. For today we shall talk about Barfi.
What is Barfi ?
Barfi is a fudge, and its name has come from the word Barf which means snow. Khoya is the main ingredient for a traditional white barfi, which is white like Baraf. It is normally served in square-shaped blocks, sometimes rectangular too.
What is Seviyo ki Barfi ?
Seviyo ki Barfi is a festive sweet . It is a rich, delicious Barfi made with a variety of nuts and a very fine variety of vermicelli. The Barfi is protein-rich and flavoured with cardamom. It is easy to prepare and even an amateur will pass with flying colours.
Ingredients for Seviyo Barfi
Seviya : we shall use very fine vermicelli for this barfi. Try to use the roasted variety, if using non-roasted, roast them a little longer. We are looking for a pinkish-brown colour. Normally the packing is 200 gms. I have used just 100 gms in this recipe.
Almonds: Use good quality almonds. Grind them coarsely. You can also use roasted, non-salted almonds.
Cashew nuts: You can use the fada or the broken variety for this Barfi. We have to coarsely grind them.
Pistachios: Try and use the small green pistachios. They lend a beautiful colour. Coarsely grind half of them. Powder the rest for garnish.
Cardamom: Cardamom will enhance the flavour of the barfi, however, you can substitute it with rose essence.
Condensed Milk: I have used ready condensed milk, and for this recipe, I have used 300 gms. If you want to cut down or increase the sweetness you can minus or add as per your taste.
How can I make Seviyo ki Barfi ?
Firstly prepare the nuts. Coarsely grind the nuts. Grind each variety separately.
Make a powder of pistachios for garnish.
Next grease a tray for the Barfi.
Let’s proceed to make the Barfi.
Use a non-stick pan, add a tbsp of ghee. Crush the vermicelli lightly and roast half-packet, which is 100 gms of fine vermicelli / seviyo. Roast on a very slow flame till pinkish brown. Remove and keep aside.
In the same pan roast, the nuts till a wonderful aroma is released. This will give them a good crunch.
Now mix in the roasted seviyo and cardamom powder. Mix everything very well. Remember the flame has to be slow throughout the process.
Transfer to the greased tray. Pat the tray to level the barfi or level with a greased spatula.
Let the Barfi set, cut into pieces of the desired size. If you are in a rush to cut, you can place the Barfi in the refrigerator for it to set. The setting time will depend on the temperature and weather.
Can I make the Seviyo Ki Barfi without condensed Milk ?
Condensed Milk is the binding ingredient and the sweetener for this Barfi. We can substitute it by replacing it with milk and sugar. You will need 1 litre of full-fat milk and 200 gms of sugar. Boil the milk and reduce it till it is thick. Add sugar and cook till the sugar has completely dissolved. This thick milk is the substitute for condensed milk. You could check a video on this here.
Which other nuts can I use in Seviyo ki Barfi?
Almonds, Cashew Nuts and Pistachios taste best, but you can always swap them with your favourite nuts. Reducing or increasing the quantity of a particular nut is purely your choice. Walnuts and coconut taste excellent in this fudge.
How do I store this Barfi ?
While all Mithai’s and Barfis taste best when fresh, we can store this in an airtight box without refrigerating it for a week. During winters the Barfi should stay good on your counter for 15-20 days, but during summer or monsoon, you should refrigerate it. Climate and temperature are very important while storing anything.
Some popular and easy Barfi’s.
Seviyo ki Barfi is my post under the theme of Diwali Sweets. You can check more Diwali Sweets and Snacks here.
Seviyo ki Barfi | Vermecilli Fudge
- Non Stick Pan
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 100 gms Vermicelli roasted, fine variety
- 100 gms Cashwnuts
- 100 gms Almonds
- 100 gms Pistachio
- 300 gms Condensed Milk
- 1/4 tsp cardamom Powder
- 50 gms Pistachio Powdered
- Chopped Nuts
- Dried Rose Flowers / Petals
- Grind the Almonds ,Cashew Nuts and Pistachios coarsely . You can use a food processor or a mixer grinder for this.
- Grind half the pistachios to a fine powder , this is for garnishing the barfi . Alternatively you can used chopped pistachios or mixed nuts .
- Grease a tray / thali for the barfi.
Preparing the Barfi
- Add ghee to a non stick pan , warm it and add the vermicelli .
- Roast the vermicelli till pinkish brown. In the process the vermicelli will break , which is perfectly fine.
- Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan , roast the nuts .
- Now mix the roasted vermicelli and roast everything together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and condensed milk.
- Mix gently , so that the nuts and seviya are well coated with condensed milk.
- Let cook , stirring constantly till the mixture is dry and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Transfer the lumpy mixture to a greased tray.
- Make the surface even .
- Sprinkle powdered pistachio lavishly over the Barfi and add roses.
- Mixed Nuts
- Chop Almonds and Pistachios into silvers, sprinkle all over the tray.
- After about 15 minutes when the barfi is set , cut into pieces of desired size.