July brings us to the alphabets S, T and U in our journey of Breakfast on the Indian Streets. Today’s alphabet is S and we shall travel to Shimla for this alphabet
Shimla is one of the most popular hill stations in northern India. It is the largest city in the state of Himachal Pradesh. The town is famous for pleasant walking experiences on hillsides surrounded by pine and oak forests. I have some nostalgic memories of this hill station.
Mall Road is the main street with shopping centres and restaurants. I love the early morning walk on this road when you can almost touch the clouds. Amidst these, it is an experience by itself to enjoy a nice hot Potato stuffed Sandwich.
Mishra ji makes Potato Sandwich with three slices of bread and stuffs it with a potato mix. He even adds a cheese slice with a few extra bucks. His sandwiches are with a layer of butter, finishing with chat masala.
Ingredients required to make Shimla Breakfast | Potato Sandwich
Bread: I have used Atta bread, but you can use multi-grain, or any other bread of your choice.
Butter: I like butter in the sandwich, but oil works well too, especially if you are a vegan.
Boiled Potato: You can boil the potatoes in advance, or boil fresh ones.
Onion & Tomato: roughly chop the onions and tomatoes, that way you get a crunch in the bite.
Cheese: Cheese is optional, though I highly recommend it for that delicious flavour.
How to make Shimla Breakfast | Potato Sandwich
First, boil the potatoes. I normally boil them in a pressure cooker. Now peel and mash them, using a potato masher.
Heat oil, and add cumin seeds. Let them crackle, now add turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
Add the boiled, mashed potatoes. Next, add red chilly powder, dry mango powder and salt. Mix everything very well and remove it from the fire.
Add chopped onion, tomato, green chilly and coriander leaves. Give it a gentle mix.
Making the Sandwich
Now apply butter to the bread slices and place a portion of stuffing. Spread it on the complete slice. Place the second slice, now place a cheese slice. Layer this with the potato mix and finally sandwich with a buttered slice.
Toasting the Sandwich
I made the sandwich in a handheld sandwich maker, just like the Shimla vendor. Alternatively, use your grill toaster. Once the sandwich is crisp on both sides, bring it on the cutting board and cut it diagonally. Sprinkle chat masala. Similarly, make the other sandwich.
Serving Suggestions of Shimla Breakfast | Potato Sandwich
Serve the potato sandwich with tomato ketchup or even Green Chutney.
Storage Suggestions of Shimla Breakfast | Potato Sandwich
The sandwich becomes soggy after a while, so enjoy it fresh. Do not store it.
You can store the potato mix in the refrigerator for a day or two. Add the onion, and tomato when making the sandwich.
- Use boiled, mashed green peas, instead of potatoes.
- A mix of peas and potato tastes excellent too.
- I sometimes make a paneer sandwich.
Some Interesting Sandwiches with Potatoes
- Grilled Potato and Cheese Sandwich
- Bombay Masala Aloo Sandwich
- Grilled Potato Sandwich
- Potato and Onion Bread Sticks
And if you are a Sandwich fan, then you must check out The Sandwich Festival, where you can enjoy more than 40 variations of Sandwiches. I bet you would want to try all of them.
Shimla Breakfast | Potato Sandwich
- 6 Bread Slices
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 2 cheese Slice
- 2 Potato boiled
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 /2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Dry Mango Powder
- Salt to taste
- Onion roughly chopped
- Tomato roughly chopped
- Green Chilly chopped
- Coriander Leaves chopped
- Chat Masala
- First boil the potatoes. I normally boil them in a pressure cooker. Now peel and mash them, using a potato masher.
- Heat oil, add cumin seeds. Let them crackle, now add turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add the boiled, mashed potatoes. Next add dry mango powder and salt. Mix everything very well and remove from fire.
- Add chopped onion, tomato, green chilly and coriander leaves. Give it a gentle mix.
Making the Sandwich
- Now apply butter on the bread slices place a portion of stuffing. Spread it on the complete slice. Place the second slice, now place a cheese slice. Layer this with the potato mix and finally sandwich with a buttered slice.
- I made the sandwich in a hand held sandwich maker, just like the Shimla vendor. Alternatively use your grill toaster.
- Once the sandwich is crisp on both sides, bring it on the cutting board and cut it diagonally. Sprinkle chat masala.
- Similarly make the other sandwich.
Let’s check the Breakfasts that I have already posted in this series.
A -Z Breakfast on Indian Streets
Amritsar Breakfast | Chola Poori
Bhavnagar Breakfast | Chana Moth
Chandigarh Breakfast | Matar Paneer Paratha
Eklingji Breakfast | Mirchi Vada
Faridabad Breakfast | Katlambe Aloo Chole
Ghaziabad Breakfast | Poori Sabzi Halwai Style
Haridwar Breakfast | Chola Aloo Poori Thali
Indore Breakfast | Poha Jalebi
Jamnagar Breakfast | Bhareli Poori
Kolkata Breakfast | Pitai Paratha with Ghughni
Morbi Breakfast | Poori Shaak Ganthiya
Okha Breakfast | Channa Chevdo
Patna Breakfast | Poori Sabzi Thali
Qadirpur Breakfast | Kachori Aloo Sabzi
2 thoughts on “Shimla Breakfast | Potato Sandwich”
OMG you got the same setup as that street vendor!..how wonderful..and the stuffing though is a regular one, sounds so different and delicious when combined like this!
Love your set up! This perfectly captures the vibes! Potato sandwich is all time favorite here and we call this as double decker in our home. This is a yummy breakfast!