We are into the third week of the Protein Rich Mega marathon . Week 1 featured Kebabs , Week 2 Biryanis and this week we have Protein Rich Salads .
For the first day of Salads I have a Lentil Salad . It has nostalgic memories ! When I got married , I could hardly cook and perhaps this is one of the first salads I made by myself for one of the dinners . Even after 39 years I can’t forget the amount of appreciation I got .
An excellent source of protein comes via Lentils and Pulses . These cooked Lentils and Pulses provide fibre and proteins and are low in fat. Each bean has its own health boosting element.
The salad has chickpeas , kidney beans , black eyed beans , sprouted moong beans , all these lentils are full of protein . I added onion, cucumber ,tomato and pomegranate for crunch . Coriander and mint make excellent herbs for this salad . A dash of yellow chilly powder and some spicy finely cut green chilly add on to the zing . One can add some tamarind juice or lemon juice , both compliment the salad .
A variation in the herbs and the spices can totally alter this salad , try adding tamarind and jaggery , along with some soy sauce , top with peanuts to give you a Thai Lentil Salad .
1/2 cup red kidney beans,boiled
1/2 cup black eyed beans,boiled
1/2 cup chick peas,boiled
1/2 cup moong beans , sprouted ,raw or boiled
1 cucumber ,cut into small cubes
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 tomato , cubed
2-3 green chilly, finely chopped
1/2 cup pomegranate pearls
Coriander leaves , roughly chopped
Mint leaves , roughly torn
1/4 tsp black salt
1/4 tsp yellow chilly powder
1 tsp roasted cumin powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
1 tbsp olive oil
Mix all beans and chill for about 30 minutes.
Mix all ingredients under dressing in a glass jar and shake well . Keep in the freezer till you finish mixing the salad.
Mix all beans , cucumbers, onions and tomatoes .
Pour the dressing and coriander leaves . Mix again.
Check for salt and flavours. Adjust according to taste.
Garnish with pomegranate pearls .
To save time you can use canned beans.
Sprouts too are easily available in the market.
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans boiled
- 1/2 cup black eyed beans boiled
- 1/2 cup chick peas boiled
- 1/2 cup moong beans sprouted ,raw or boiled
- 1 cucumber cut into small cubes
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1 tomato cubed
- 2-3 green chilly finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate pearls
- leaves Coriander roughly chopped
- leaves Mint roughly torn
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- 1/4 tsp yellow chilly powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Mix all beans and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients under dressing in a glass jar and shake well . Keep in the freezer till you finish mixing the salad.
- Mix all beans , cucumbers, onions and tomatoes .
- Pour the dressing and coriander leaves . Mix again.
- Check for salt and flavors. Adjust according to taste.
- Garnish with pomegranate pearls .
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 80