Malai Kofta in Spinach Gravy is a restaurant-style kofta made with paneer and potato that melts in your mouth. We dunk it in a healthy and delicious Spinach gravy.
Malai Koftas are one of our favourite koftas, and we make them every time we have guests or a party. Coming from North I always add a Paneer dish to the main course. Paneer Tikka Masala , Lehsuni Paneer or Shahi Paneer top the list . At times I add in a paneer snack too. My guests are very fond of Paneer Pakora, Patra nu Paneer.
Yesterday I shared a Malai Kofta recipe, that was in a smooth creamy and silky onion tomato gravy. For today it is yet another Malai Kofta, with a healthy twist. These koftas are like soft creamy balls that melt in your mouth. The gravy is with spinach, a superfood that I simply love for its benefits.
Ingredients for Malai Kofta
Paneer: Homemade paneer is the best, but you can always use store-bought. It cuts down the extra time and effort. Grate the paneer.
Potatoes: I like to boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker and let them cool before using.
Cashews: Cashews add a nice crunch and a delicious nutty flavour.
Raisins: I have used 2 raisins for stuffing each of the koftas. The mild sweetness adds to the flavour and makes the kofta rich.
Spices: Salt and Garam Masala are the only spices that I add to the kofta dough.
Herbs: Coriander is my favourite herb and I use it lavishly. Use green chilly paste or pound the chillies.
Ingredients for Spinach Gravy
Spinach: Trim the ends and wash them well. Blanch and the spinach for a nice green.
Onion: Make a fine onion paste by first boiling the onion and then blending it.
Tomato: Make a soft smooth puree, either boil the tomatoes or directly purée in a mixer.
Cashew: Soak the cashews in milk for an hour and then blend into a fine paste.
Seasoning: Coriander powder and garam masala are the only seasonings that I use. At times I omit garam masala and instead use Kitchen King Masala.
Ginger & Garlic: Make a paste of the two. Use in equal portions.
Whole Spices: Bay leaf lends a wonderful aroma to the dish. You can discard it before serving the dish.
Ghee / Oil: use either of the two or a combination. I like to use ghee in my spinach dishes.
How to make Malai Kofta in Spinach Gravy ?
Let’s first make the Koftas
To make Kofta first we will boil the potatoes. I prefer to boil them in a traditional pressure cooker, but a microwave or an instant pot works fine too. Do not over boil the potatoes. Peel and mash them after they cool down.
Next, we will grate the paneer and mix in green chilly paste or pounded green chilly, coriander leaves, gram masala, cashew bits, cornflour and finally salt.
I like to mix everything with my hands so that everything comes together and a nice dough is formed. Take a test check for salt and flavour. At this time I also take a frying test check. Heat oil and dunk in a small ball from the prepared dough. If it disintegrates then add more cornflour.
Now we will pinch out a lemon sized ball, remember to grease your hands. Flatten the ball, stuff with one or two raisins and bring the edges together to seal. Shape into round balls or oval koftas. Deep fry on medium to high flame to a golden. Keep aside.
How to make Spinach Gravy ?
To make spinach gravy let us first prepare the Spinach Puree. We will Blanch the Spinach.
How to Blanch Spinach?
Add 3 cups of water to a pot and let it come to a rolling boil. Add the spinach leaves and let boil for 2 minutes.
Immediately transfer to ice-cold water. This will stop the cooking process. Transfer to a blender to puree the spinach.
Now prepare the rest of the ingredients
Onion Paste. Place a small pot of water to boil. Add roughly chopped onions and boil till they are soft. Drain the water and blend into a fine paste.
Take a pan, heat oil or ghee and add cumin seeds. As soon as they crackle, add a bay leaf and the onion paste. Add ginger-garlic paste too. Let’s cook this till pink.
Next add the dry spices, like coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
Now add tomato purée. You can either boil the tomatoes and purée them or simply blend them in a mixer to a fine paste. Cook till there is no moisture left.
Time to add cashew paste, and cook for a minute or two. Finally, add the spinach purée.
Simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes and the spinach gravy is ready.
How to serve Malai Kofta in Spinach Gravy ?
- To serve Malai Kofta, I microwave the koftas and immerse in hot spinach gravy.
- Do not boil the koftas in the gravy as they are very delicate and might disintegrate.
- Garnish with Dried Whole Chillies or with fresh cream.
- Serve with a hot Fulko, or a paratha.
Can I use this Spinach Gravy with other combinations?
Yes, you can!
- Firstly the Spinach Gravy is delicious on its own. Even if you do not add anything to it, it will still be as good.
- Add Paneer Cubes to make Palak Paneer .
- Boiled and sautéed potatoes with Spinach Gravy tastes delicious.
- I add corn kernels to make Palak Corn.
Can I use Malai Kofta in a Different Gravy ?
Here are some different gravies that you can dunk the Malai Kofta in –
Malai Kofta in Spinach Gravy
- Pan / Kadai / Wok
- 2 Boiled Potatoes
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese / Paneer grated
- 1-2 Green Chilly pounded
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Cashews chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Corn starch
- Raisins as required
- 500 gms Spinach
- 2 tbsp Ghee / Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup Onion Paste
- 1 cup Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Cashew Paste
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- In a large mixing bowl take the potato and paneer.
- Mash them well.
- Add green chilly, coriander, gram masala cashews and salt to taste.
- Now add corn starch and mix well forming a soft dough.Corn starch helps to bind the mixture well.
- Grease your hands and pinch out a small lemon sized ball from the potato mixture.
- Place 2 golden raisins as stuffing and bring the sides together to close the ball.
- Shape into round balls
- Similarly make all koftas.
- Deep fry on medium hot oil.
- Stir occasionally, making sure the koftas are cooked uniformly.
- Fry until the kofta turn golden brown and crisp.
- Drain off the koftas and keep aside.
- At first we will blanch the Spinach.
How to Blanch Spinach?
- Add 3 cups if water to a pot and let it come to a rolling boil. Add the spinach leaves and let boil for 2 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to ice cold water.
- This will stop the cooking process.
- Add a green chilly and transfer to a blender to puree the spinach.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai and add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds starts to crackle add bay leaf, ginger, garlic and onion paste. Cook until it gets pinkish-brown in color.
- Add salt, garam masala, coriander powder. Stir till well mixed.
- Now add tomato puree and stir fry over medium heat. Add the cashew paste and cook till oil separates.
- Finally add the spinach purée , simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes .
To serve Malai Koftas with Spinach.
- Add the hot Spinach gravy to a serving dish , microwave the koftas for a minute.
- Add the koftas to the gravy .
- Serve garnished with whole red chillies .