Bhune Aaloo is roasted potatoes cooked in the Baniya style from the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
Potatoes or Aaloo are one safe pick when making any meal, so when planning my Thali or a guest meal I always pick one potato dish. The Bhune Aaloo are from the Uttar Pradesh Thali that I made for our September Mega Marathon, where our theme was Thali and Platter Festival. Making a Thali is a lot of work but then, in the end, you have a very rich draft.
Bhune Aaloo is a rustic potato side dish, where we chop and cook potatoes with their skin on. To make these we must wash and scrub the potatoes very well, and soak them for a while so that no traces of dirt remain. One just needs to temper and simmer the potatoes until done. After adding the spices, the finale to the dish is minced garlic water! This is what gives these potatoes a very unique flavour, the garlic seeps in the potatoes. The skinned potatoes are one of their kind and you are sure to love this Bhune Aaloo recipe.
Bhune Aloo is my Day 2 post for the theme Pick 3 states and one dish from your choice, and for today I have picked Uttar Pradesh, for Day 1 I had picked Bengal and made Tomato & Date Chutney.
Recipe Source; Tiffin
3 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
5- 6 potatoes, unpeeled, cubed
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
11/2 tsp coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp mango powder
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp warm water
Heat oil in a kadhai.
Add cumin seeds, let crackle.
Add the unpeeled, cubed potatoes.
Add salt and sauté.
Simmer, cover and cook till the potatoes are done.
Check-in between and stir carefully so that the potato cubes are intact.
If required sprinkle some water.
Once done sprinkle turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilly powder and mango powder.
Sauté on a full flame to mix in the spices.
In a bowl, stir together the minced garlic and warm water. Sprinkle over the potatoes.
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 5- 6 potatoes unpeeled, cubed
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 11/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp mango powder
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp warm water
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Add cumin seeds, let crackle.
- Add the unpeeled, cubed potatoes.
- Add salt and sauté.
- Simmer, cover and cook till the potatoes are done.
- Check-in between and stir carefully so that the potato cubes are intact.
- If required sprinkle some water.
- Once done sprinkle turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilly powder and mango powder.
- Sauté on a full flame to mix in the spices.
- In a bowl, stir together the minced garlic and warm water. Sprinkle over the potatoes.
- Serve hot.