Green Pav Bhaji | Surat Street Food is a mish-mash of winter veggies, blended together to make nutritious street food.
We all know that Pav Bhaji is the king of street food. Its aroma makes it hard to resist and most of us can enjoy it any time of the day. The Green Pav Bhaji is yet another street food with the same aroma. The ingredients are different, and this version will make you feel good. It is healthy and nutritious. It tastes almost like the Mumbai Pav Bhaji. This Bhaji recipe comes straight from Surat, the food hub.
The Bhaji flavour comes from the special spice blend, the Pav Bhaji Masala. There are many brands available in the market, choose the brand you like most. The taste of the Bhaji will depend on the masala that we use. I use Tata Sampan Masala and really like its flavour and aroma. If you wish you can make your own spice blend too.
Ingredients for Green Pav Bhaji | Surat Street Food
I have adapted this recipe from Cooking Shooking. I used the following ingredients, but feel free to omit or add a particular veggie.
Spinach: The winter spinach is always very fresh and flavorful. I blanch the spinach and purée it for this recipe.
Capsicum: I have chopped one medium capsicum very finely.
Spring Onion: I have used the white as well as the green of the spring onion.
Beans: Chop the french beans very finely and blanch them.
Green Peas: I have used the fresh green peas, but the frozen ones work well too. I boil the peas.
Potato: I have used boiled, mashed potatoes. You can boil the potatoes in advance.
Tomatoes: I like to use Red Tomatoes, but you can use green tomatoes, as they will give the Bhaji a better colour.
Garlic: The Green Garlic lends the Bhaji a wonderful flavour, but you can also use a fine paste of garlic cloves.
Spices: The special spice blend Pav Bhaji Masala lends the Bhaji a special flavour.
Butter: I like to use a big chunk of butter in this Bhaji.
Besides these, we need salt and Kasoori Methi to flavour the Bhaji.
Pav: Roast the pav with butter and serve with Bhaji. Serve chopped onions and lemon wedges too.
How to make Green Pav Bhaji | Surat Street Food
To make this Bhaji, first I like to prepare all veggies. I blanch the beans and spinach, chop veggies and boil the potatoes and peas. So let’s get started.
First, we will heat a Kadai and add oil.
Now add capsicum, spring onion whites and Green Peas. Sauté them well.
Next add french beans, ginger garlic paste, green tomatoes or red tomatoes, spring onion greens and boiled mashed potatoes.
Immediately add Pav Bhaji Masala, and salt to taste. Mix and cook everything on slow fire for 4-5 minutes.
Check-in between, if the mix is dry add water. Add the spinach purée and kasoori methi.
Mash again and add water to adjust the consistency of the bhaji.
Finally, add 2-3 tbsp of butter and serve with butter pav.
What are the other veggies that I can use in this Bhaji?
Spinach is mandatory as Spinach will give the green colour. You can substitute potato with Raw Banana. Other than that you can make the Bhaji with most veggies like –
Serve the Green Bhaji with either a Butter Pav or Toasted Bread. Serve chopped onions and lemon wedges on the side.
Can I make it Vegan ?
Yes! Substitute oil for butter and you are good to go.
I always prefer fresh hot food as it tastes best. However, you want to store the Bhaji you can.
Store the Bhaji for a day or two in the refrigerator, depending on the weather conditions.
It will stay good in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Why Green Pav Bhaji ?
Green Pav Bhaji is healthy, wholesome and nutritious.
The fussy kids will eat it too.
It is a delicious one-pot meal.
Above all, it is Pav Bhaji, our favourite street food!
Green Pav Bhaji is my post under the Theme Snacks, check more snacks from the city of Surat.
Surat Street Foods
Green Pav Bhaji | Surat Street Food
- Pan / Kadai / Wok
- Pressure Cooker
- 11/2 cup Spinach
- 500 ml Water
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1, Capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Spring Onion white heads chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Peas Frozen or Boil fresh ones
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 – 4 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 6-7 Fresh Beans finely chopped, blanched
- 3 Green Tomatoes chopped / red will do
- 1 cup Spring Onion greens finely chopped
- 3 Potatoes boiled
- 1 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1/2 tsp Kasoori methi
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Salt to taste
Serve on the side
- Lemon wedges
- Onion chopped
- Boil 500 ml water, as soon as it boils add the spinach leaves. Boil for a minute and transfer to cold water. Drain after a minute and blend to a smooth purée.
- Heat oil in a kadahi and add the chopped capsicum, spring onion whites and green peas . Roast very well.
- Now add french beans, ginger garlic paste, green tomatoes or red tomatoes, spring onion greens and boiled mashed potatoes.
- Immediately add Pav Bhaji Masala, and Salt to taste.
- Mix , cover and cook everything on slow fire for 4-5 minutes.
- Check in between, if the mix is dry add 1/2 cup water.
- Ensure that the veggies are cooked.
- Now mash with a potato masher.
- Add the spinach purée and kasoori methi.
- Mash again , so that everything is well blended.
- Add water and adjust the consistency of the bhaji.
- Finally add 2-3 tbsp of butter and serve with toasted butter pav.