Indian Almond and Pistachio Cookies are biscuits made with whole wheat flour, almonds , pistachios and cardamom .They have a royal Indian touch which makes them all the more desirable.
These biscuits were also a part of the pack of cookies that I sent to US. I spotted the Badaam Pista Biscuits / Almond and Pistachio Cookies on Pinterest and immediately bookmarked them.They looked delicious and reminded me of my childhood days . Mom used to take flour, ghee , sugar and cardamom to the local bakery and they would bake biscuits from that . Even in those days mom did not want to give us Maida . She would use whole wheat flour and the flavour of these Atta biscuits was something that I can never forget. All of us loved these biscuits.
The Badam Pista Biscuits are now very popular in Delhi too. We have Frontier Bakery which is very popular for this but after making these myself trust me you will never want to go to a bakery they truly are super super addictive.
Indian Almond Pistachio Cookies
Badaam Pista Biscuits
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp custard powder vanilla
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup sugar powdered
- 1/4 cup + 1 to 2 tsp chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup + 1 to 2 tsp chopped pistachios
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp rose essence
- Sift the flour and custard powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Place butter in the bowl of your stand mixer ( you can use your hand mixer or a whisk too), sift in powdered sugar, beat on low heat initially, until the powdered sugar is mixed with the butter, then increase the speed to medium and beat till light and creamy.
- Add cardamom powder, rose essence, chopped almonds, and pistachios. Mix well.
- Now switch to the lowest speed and add the flour in 3 parts incorporating the butter into the flour.
- Gently bring the dough together. Do not knead.
- If at all the dough is dry, sprinkle few teaspoons of milk at a time, do not add too much.
- The dough should be soft.
- Shape the dough into a log and wrap in a cling film. Refrigerate it for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C /350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the log from the refrigerator and cut slices about a quarter inch thick.
- Lay the cookies on the sheet at least 2 inches apart as they expand when they bake.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 to 2 tsp of chopped almonds and pistachios, press it in lightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- When the bottom of the cookies begins to brown, they are done.
- They will be soft in the middle, but will firm upon cooling.
- Cool in the baking tray for five minutes and then transfer to the wire rack to cool completely.
- The cookies stay good for two weeks when stored in an airtight container.