Doodhi na Muthiya are very popular in Gujrat and are normally made with coarse as well as regular wheat flour . Bottle gourd is added to make it healthy as well as soft . Curd too helps in giving them softness. Since I did not want to use wheat flour I made these with Jowar flour .
Actually I wanted to make Muthiya with Jowar and bottle gourd , but while steaming these , the muthiya spread and got distorted . I let them cool down . The taste was perfect but since the shape was weird I decided to mash these and form them into tikkis .The Muthiyas changed to Tikki , but trust me these tasted even better . The basic flavour remained same but since these were shallow fried a lovely crunch was added.
These Tikkis are my Day 2 post under Whole Grains.
Muthiya ki Tikki
Muthiya ki Tikiya
- 500 gms bottle gourd grated
- 2 tsp ginger chilly paste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 1/4 cup curd
- 1 tsp coriander leaves
- 11/2 cups Jowar flour
- salt to taste
- Grate the bottle gourd .
- Sprinkle salt over and leave it for 10 minutes. You can use the water that has been squeezed out .
- Gently squeeze out the water.
- Take a bowl and add Jowar flour and all the ingredients , except curd.
- Now add curd and bind the dough .
- You might need some water to make the dough to a soft dough.
- Make long rolls and steam them in a steamer for 15-20 minutes . Shallow fry till golden . Serve hot .
- This is the recipe for muthiya .Now the Tikki.
- Let the muthiyas cool down .
- Pinch out balls from these rolls and shape them into Tikkis.
- Shallow fry till golden .