Sattu ki Roti is a gluten free Indian flatbread from Bihar . Sattu is a flour prepared from ground cereals and pulses. The Sattu ki Roti has a delicious taste and one can enjoy it as it is or you could even serve it with a curry .
Some few years back I had heard of Sattu , but I had no clue that it was a flour which could be used in so many dishes . I always thought of the Rajasthani sweet Sattu . It was on one of my trips to Bihar I saw Littis made with Sattu , and Sattu Parathas . They even make a beverage with this flour, though I have never tried making it .
The Sattu flour itself has a wonderful flavour since the flour is made from roasted cereals and pulses . A roti with this flour is a complete treat , one actually doesn’t require any side dish or curry to go with it , but I served this with a Ridge Gourd Bharta . The Bharta recipe shall come up soon , till then you enjoy this delicious gluten free roti from Bihar . Sattu ki Roti is my Day 2 post under the theme Paleo, Vegan, Gluten-Free Recipes.
Sattu ki Roti
Sattu ki Roti
- 1 cup sattu flour
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ghee / oil
- leaves Few coriander finely chopped
- Warm water to bind the dough
- Salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl .
- Gradually adding warm water , bind the dough .
- Keep aside , covered for 10 minutes .
- Knead again with greased hands .
- Make 4-5 balls .
- Roll each ball into a flat disc , just the way you roll a roti .
- It is not difficult to roll , but you can always roll between two plastic sheets .
- Cook on a hot griddle , as soon as the roti dries up flip and cook the other side .
- Final roasting can be done on a open flame .
- Remo and apply ghee / oil .