Dudhi na Muthiya is a traditional and nutritious snack from Gujarat which is a wholesome dish. It can be served as breakfast, evening snack or even as a complete meal.
Dudhi is bottle gourd and it is mixed with whole wheat flour, semolina, herbs and spices to make these Muthiyas. A soft dough is made, which is shaped as either long logs or the size of your fist. The name Muthia comes from the Hindi word Muthi, which is a fist. I have made these into logs and steamed. After they cook, these are cut into desired thickness and tempered.
There are a few points to note before you start making them.
1. Always grate the bottle gourd just before mixing, else it shall turn dark when exposed to air.
2. The proportions of the flours are important to get the right texture.
3. Do not add water right away, as the gourd oozes out a lot of water. Add water only if required.
4. The dough should be on the softer side, else the muthiyas will turn hard after steaming.
5. Once the knife comes out clean, let the rolls rest in the steamer for a while. They need some standing time. Cut only after they have reached room temperature.
6. Tempering can vary, you could use just mustard seeds and curry leaves or use sesame seeds and green chillies too.
Muthiyas can be enjoyed without tempering too, just simply steamed ones, one can sprinkle a lit bit of Methia Masala. The Gujjus sometimes dip them into raw groundnut oil and enjoy.
The logs can be frozen too, you can thaw them and temper before serving. Make sure to use lots of fresh coriander leaves as garnish. One can use grated coconut too as a garnish.
And now to the recipe –
Dudhi na Muthiya
1½ cup wheat flour
¼ cup semolina
¼ cup wheat flour coarse
¼ tsp turmeric
¾ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala
¼ tsp carom seeds
1 tbsp sugar
Salt to taste
2 cup bottle gourd, grated
1 carrot, grated
½ tsp ginger paste
2 green chillies, pounded
2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1 tbsp curd
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard
2 tsp sesame seeds
Few curry leaves
2 tbsp coriander, chopped
Take all ingredients under Muthiya in a c large mixing bowl.
Make sure to grate dudhi right at the end.
Mix well with hands and knead it to a soft dough.
If required then only use water.
Take a large ball sized dough and make a nice long cylindrical roll, about 3” thick.
Similarly, make more rolls.
Cover and steam for 20 minutes.
Insert a knife to check, it should come out clean.
Remove and let them come to room temperature.
Once cool cut into slices.
Heat 2 tbsp oil and add mustard seeds. Let splutter.
Add sesame seeds and curry leaves.
Immediately add the sliced muthia.
Toss and garnish with coriander.
Serve Dudhi na Muthiya with green chutney.
Day 6 Parathe wali Gali ki Thali
Day 6 Kaddu ki Khatti Meethi Sabzi
Day 7 Sindhi Meal
Day 7 Sev ka Raita
Day 8 A Meal from Kerela
Day 8 Nadan Urulaizhangu Curry
Day 9 Chettinad Wedding Spread
Day 9 Potato Masala
Day 10 Bengali Vegetarian Thali
Day 10 Anarosher Chutney
Day 11 Gujarati Farsan Platter
Dudhi na Muthiya
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 cup semolina
- 1/4 cup wheat flour coarse
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 2 cup bottle gourd grated
- 1 carrot grated
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chillies pounded
- 2 tbsp Coriander finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curd
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Pinch asafoetida
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Coriander chopped
- Take all ingredients under Muthiya in a c large mixing bowl.
- Make sure to grate dudhi right at the end.
- Mix well with hands and knead it to a soft dough.
- If required then only use water .
- Take a large ball sized dough and make a nice long cylindrical roll, about 3” thick.
- Similarly, make more rolls.
- Cover and steam for 20 minutes.
- Insert a knife to check, it should come out clean.
- Remove and let them come to room temperature.
- Once cool cut into slices.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and add mustard seeds. Let splutter.
- Add sesame seeds and curry leaves.
- Immediately add the sliced muthia.
- Toss and garnish with coriander.
- Serve dudhi na muthiya with green chutney.