Khajoor Ladoos | Dates Ladoo | Sugar-Free Ladoo are ladoos that are made with dates and enriched with almonds, cashews and pistachios. These are sugar-free and naturally sweetened with dates.
With the upcoming Diwali Festival, I prefer to look for healthy options as giveaways or to be served to the friends and family that visit. They even make an excellent snack post-gym workouts or a Tiffin snack for school going, kids. Today, I am posting them under the Diwali Sweets Theme. I have already posted a Anjeer Barfi, with a little difference.
What are the ingredients required to make Khajoor Ladoos | Dates Ladoo | Sugar-Free Ladoo?
Khajoor / Dates: Dates is the base and the sweetner of the ladoos. Any good quality dates are perfect for these ladoos.
Nuts: I have used almonds, cashews and pistachios. Roast them in ghee which will enhance the flavour.
Ghee: 1 tbsp of ghee does the magic to these ladoos, for the vegan version use coconut oil or completely skip it.
Cardamom: It lends a wonderful aroma and flavour to the ladoos.
How to make the Khajoor Ladoos | Dates Ladoo | Sugar Free Ladoo?
To make Khajoor Ladoos, first coarsely grind the dates. This is the base of the ladoos.
Next, roast the nuts in ghee till they are crunchy and release a wonderful aroma. At times I just dry roast the nuts, to make a vegan version.
Once you finish roasting the nuts mix the ground dates, cardamom powder and mix very well. Saute the dates mixture till you see a sheen over the dates.
Now, remove the mixture on the counter or a wide plate. At this point, you can either make Date Rolls or Barfi or Ladoos . If making barfi, transfer the mix to a tray, when cool cut into pieces. If making a Roll then after bringing the mixture on the counter, divide it into two parts. Make long rolls of the desired thickness. Wrap the rolls in a cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 mins. The refrigerated roll becomes firm and it is easy to slice the rolls. Finally, for Ladoos, pinch out balls and shape like balls or ladoos
What are the variations of Khajoor Ladoos?
Once the Dates are coarsely ground you can make the ladoos with a mix of any of these ingredients choosing your combination.
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Aliv Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Flax Seeds
Desiccated Coconut; Roast the coconut and either add or roll the ladoos in it.
Chocolate Chips; Add the chocolate chips to the mix or dip the ladoo in melted chocolate.
Edible Gum: Fry the edible gum, crush coarsely and add to the mix before making the ladoos.
Dried Rose Petals: Roll the ladoos into dried rose petals.
What are the Health Benefits of Dates?
- Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals, energy, and fibre.
- It also contains calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and zinc.
- It is a healthy sugar substitute.
My Favourite Ladoos!
- Ladoo Besan Kaju ka
- Date and Nut Choco Orange Ladoo
- Carrot Coconut Ladoo
- Sattu ke Ladoo
- Paneer Gulkand Ladoo
Khajoor ke Ladoo
- Food Processor / Blender
- Pan / Kadai / Wok
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 cup Dates seedless
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 1/2 cup Cashew
- 1/2 cup Pistachio
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- Using a blender/ food processor blend the dates coarsely. Do not add any water. Keep aside.
- Now add ghee to a heavy bottom pan and roast Almonds, Cashews and Pistachios. Roast till the nuts are fragrant. This should be 7-8 minutes.
- Add in the dates and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Saute till everything comes together and oil is released.
- Remove from fire and transfer on a greased counter.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then pinch out balls to make ladoos.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds over the ladoos and they are ready to serve.